Thursday, May 2, 2013

No Impact Man Review

‘Really, I’m only judging myself. Why can’t I do more? God help me. Is there a way to do this and have peace at the same time?
            “We’re becoming freaks,” I say to Michelle.
“No, you’re becoming a freak.”’


from No Impact Man by Colin Beavan, pg 110


I’ve been a nature lover my entire life and an environmentalist since my first episode of Captain Planet as a kid. I’ve been an educated environmentalist since my brother needed me to join his Envirothon team in high school. I went to Warren Wilson College, which is very environmentally focused. Now I’m in small-town South Dakota and being environmentally friendly around here can be a challenge. However, I know I’m not alone. My recent reading has inspired me to keep fighting, that even the smallest change is change, and to speak out. So here I am, saying that none of us eco-crazies are alone, and if you’re in South Dakota, drop me a line!


Okay, onto the actual book review:


No Impact Man is one of the three books that I have read as an adult that made me want to change my life. Reading it felt like someone picked up my brain, shook vigorously, and then carefully slipped it back into my skull with a new perspective on things.

My favorite non-fiction genre is people doing crazy environmental/small farm/big garden projects and writing about them. Some of my favorites include Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Hit By a Farm, and now No Impact Man. Though The Omnivore’s Dilemma, In Defense of Food, and Hot, Flat, and Crowded don’t technically fit into this genre, they deserve a mention as Environmentalist Required Reading. Each of these books advocates for a different aspect of environmentalism, like eating slow, local, and dismantling the Agro-Industrial complex; buying the proverbial farm and raising your own livestock; or taking a deep look at how we could economically fix the environment.

Colin Beavan, the author of No Impact Man, decides to tackle all these issues. He sets out to do many extreme things in a year and afterwards discards most of the life changes he made, but the impact of them stays, with both the reader and himself.

A great aspect is that he wants environmentalism to be both affordable for low income families and for it to not be a sacrifice. He sees it as protecting quality of life. My favorite quote: “After all, who would suggest that to do without plastic bags is to be deprived? Who could possibly argue that using plastic bags makes us happier?” He also argues that in protecting habitat we are protecting ourselves. The earth is our home, and what happens to wildlife is also happening to us.

He challenges assumptions. Why are we urged to buy more all the time to help the economy? Shouldn’t the economy be a tool to serve us? Lets make it so! He constantly challenges our privilege. How do you tell a family barely making ends meet to use less? How dare you tell countries struggling to have the same access to lights, telephones, and information technology as us not to burn fossil fuels for power? He turned off his electricity not to promote depriving oneself but because one in four people in the world do not have access to electricity. 

Every challenge he encountered, they face every single day. Access to clean drinking water, food spoilage, light after dark, keeping cool on hot days, powering communication devices, and doing LAUNDRY. Without electricity, farmers can’t easily transport their goods, doctors can’t store temperature sensitive medicine, and children can’t do homework. Promoting cheap, alternative energy protects the environment, yes, but it can also bring people out of poverty.

I think the most potent impact of this book is his “just do it” attitude. He has no idea what he’s getting himself into as he tries to eliminate his waste stream, turn off the electricity, travel entirely by foot and bicycle, buy nothing new, and even more exciting projects. His wife and daughter go along with it, which should nominate them for sainthood.

The book is well written, easy to read, and he throws in little hints of big events to keep you in suspense. All in all, an easy 5 stars and I’m adding it to my personal Environmentalist Required Reading List.

No comments:

Post a Comment